Tuesday 17 March 2009

St Patrick gets me thinking

On a day when millions of Irish – representing 40 spades of green – celebrate St Patrick around the world (I have received emails, txt, tweats, facebook wall posts, etc. from all corners of the world), let’s reclaim the spirit of St Patrick for all. Patrick was brought to Ireland, went away and was called back to minister a simple gospel of love to all.

I am conservative and unionist in my outlook. I am an Irish Presbyterian. As the years go by I gain a better appreciation of my Ulster-Scots, British and Irish heritage. But you know what they say about history? It’s not what it used to be! Please don’t think me glib or disrespectful. I love history and culture and think we should learn lessons from them and we should remember those who have made selfless contribution to our lives today.

However on this 17th of March 2009 this Belfast man, this Ulsterman, this Irish man is going to evoke the spirit of Patrick by starting to focus on new relationships amongst our community (thank you Martin McGuinness for suggesting we all start to refer to ONE community); new relationships on this island; new relationships between these islands; new relationships with the United States; and new relationships with the wider world. I am going to try my best to do what the bible teaches me, to love my neighbour and to love my own flesh and blood.

Now that gets me thinking – who is my neighbour and who is my own flesh and blood?

I guess as a Northern Ireland based conservative & unionist my neighbour lives in the other three provinces and on the other islands. My own flesh and blood lives here in Belfast, in Ulster, on this island and forms part of the Irish world-wide Diaspora.

By the way people often refer to the Diaspora as some mighty force to be harnessed, who ought to be remitting back home.

I think the Diaspora includes the forgotten Irish (from our ONE community and TWO traditions) in the GB, the undocumented Irish in the US and many people around the world who maybe all aren’t doing just as well as they had hoped when they left these shore. Maybe in Christian love we should consider how we can support and encourage these our brothers and sisters and our neighbours children.

Happy St Patrick’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome short comments on Belfast Media Group blog postings but you should be aware that, since we've put our names to our articles, we encourage you to do so also. Preference in publication will be given to those who provide an authenticated full name — as is already the case in our newspapers. Comments should be short and relate to the subject matter and, of course, shouldn't be libelous. And remember, if you find that there isn't enough space on our blogs for your views, you can always start your own. There are over two million blogs out there, another one can only benefit the blogosphere.