Saturday 14 February 2009

Are you Tired of our Politicians?

Did you ever go beyond frustration with our elected representatives?
I watched Hearts & Minds this week and I was sick to my stomach.

I  just had the pleasure of leading a delegation of politicians, community leaders, church folk and business people to Washington DC - center of the free world.

What an uplifting experience....we enjoyed inspirational speeches from President Obama, former PM Tony Blair, etc, etc, etc......and then came home to Noel Thompson and crew...which brought us down to earth with a CRASH!!

ENOUGH, ENOUGH, ENOUGH I say.

Why do our politicians feel they have to expend all their energy in point scoring and knocking one another? We are in times of crisis and need clarity and direction, not bickering and division. I am not naive and don't expect unity on all matters. Indeed I am aware of the fundamental divisions in the United States....but at least they are unified that action is imperative. 

I have spent recent days with people from Gaza and Columbia and other war torn zones, all grasping for hope in our story. I could cry when I watch Noel's programme. I told them, we have peace but we don't have reconciliation. 

We have got to redouble our efforts to deliver reconciliation and to start to focus on what we agree on. I pray we will learn from the simple teachings on Jesus and learn to love each other and our neighbours.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome short comments on Belfast Media Group blog postings but you should be aware that, since we've put our names to our articles, we encourage you to do so also. Preference in publication will be given to those who provide an authenticated full name — as is already the case in our newspapers. Comments should be short and relate to the subject matter and, of course, shouldn't be libelous. And remember, if you find that there isn't enough space on our blogs for your views, you can always start your own. There are over two million blogs out there, another one can only benefit the blogosphere.